Education

Several problems are associated with the improper disposal of fats, oils, greaseand grease (FOG).  In order to reduce these problems, the District provides the following information on how to properly handle FOG.

Disposing of used cooking oil and grease down a sink can be costly both to the homeowner as well as the South Valley Sewer District. Grease disposed of in sinks and drains can lead to sewer line clogs and sewage backups into homes and businesses, sewage overflowing into streets, and adverse impacts to public health and the environment.

When FOG is disposed of into sewer lines in any amount, it can seriously degrade the sewer collection system’s ability to remove wastewater. Grease accumulates directly on sewer pipe walls, thus decreasing the carrying capacity of the pipe. As a result, SVSD crews must increase sewer line cleaning, maintenance, and replacement. FOG is also hard to process at wastewater treatment facilities. These costs ultimately translate into higher operating and management expenses, which impact your sewer rates. Homeowners also suffer the expense of paying for a plumber to respond to clogged sinks, drains, and private sewer lines.

The easiest way to solve the FOG buildup problem is to keep the material out of the sewer system. Here are a few tips:

  • Never pour grease down sink drains or into toilets.
  • Scrape grease and food scraps from plates, pots, pans, utensils, grills and cooking surfaces into a can or the trash.
  • Pour FOG into containers such as an empty jar or coffee can. Once the material has cooled and solidified, secure the lid and place it in the trash.
  • Don’t pour grease down garbage disposals. Put baskets/strainers in sink drains to catch food scraps and other solids, and empty the drain baskets/strainers into the trash.
  • Tell your family, friends, and neighbors about problems associated with grease in the sewer system and how to keep it out. The solution starts in your home with your actions.

For more information about the proper disposal of FOG and how these materials affect your environment and community, please call (385) 202-2777.